Feb 23, 2015

Reporter Uses Racial Slur to Describe Lady Gaga's Music, Apologizes: Watch Now

Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga had a triumphant moment at the 2015 Oscars on Sunday, Feb. 22, when she took to the stage to sing a medley of songs from the Sound of Music. The performance was critically acclaimed, but it prompted one Cleveland reporter to make a major on-camera misstep. 

“It’s hard to hear her voice with all that ‘jigaboo’ music,” Fox 8 anchor Kristi Capel said of Gaga while talking to her black co-anchor. “Whatever you want to call it. She has a gorgeous voice I never knew.” 

The term “jigaboo” is considered a racial slur toward black people, first used in the early 1900s. 

Soon after her comments aired, Capel took to Twitter to apologize to angered fans. 

“I deeply regret my insensitive comment. I didn't know the meaning and would never intentionally use hurtful language. I sincerely apologize,” she tweeted on Monday, Feb. 23. 

@John_Ferguson_ @fox8news I apologize if I offended you, I had no idea it was a word or what it meant. Thank you for watching.

@BrookeM8 @fox8news I do apologize, I had know idea what it meant or that it was even a word. Thank you for watching.

She also directly tweeted at upset viewers, claiming she didn’t know what the word meant. 

Tell Us: What do you think of her response??

post from sitemap